20 Questions: Mamma Mia!'s Mazz Murray
The former We Will Rock You star is about to return to the West End, as Tanya in the longrunning Abba musical
1. What were you like as a kid?
Quite sweet, terrified of dogs and didn't like staying at friends' houses.
2. What made you want to become an actor?
My sister Gina wanted to go to stage school and I couldn't bare to be separated from her. So I went too. I didn't even know what it was.
3. If you hadn't become an actor, what might you have done professionally?
A lawyer. Still might do it one day.
4. First big break?
Playing Killer Queen in We Will Rock You.
5. Career highlights to date?
Performing at the Queen's jubilee, supporting Earth, Wind and Fire with my band Woman and guesting with Il Divo on their world tour.
6. Worst ever audition?
For The Witches of Eastwick, singing a rewritten version of "My Favourite Things". A personal best audition for me... but definitely a worst one for them!
7. What was the first thing you saw on stage that had a big impact on you?
Seeing my stepfather Robert Dallas playing Pharaoh in Bill Kenwright's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I knew I wanted to be in it one day.
8. And the last?
Has to be The Book of Mormon.
9. Who are your idols?
Elvis, Abba, Queen, Streisand.
10. What's the best advice you've ever been given?
If a job is yours, it's yours, if it's not, it's not - don't sweat it. Oh yeah, and always buy good shoes and a good bed. You're in them too often to muck about with cheap stuff.
12. To what extent can you put your own stamp on the character?
Some would say I'm not too far removed from Tanya. So...
13. Favourite song in the show?
"Chiquitita". It was my wedding song.
14. Any rehearsal room mishaps?
So far so good.
15. What do you enjoy most about acting?
My fellow actors.
16. And least?
Sometimes my fellow actors.
17. Where's your favourite place in London?
Hutong [at The Shard] and The Ivy Market Grill [in Covent Garden].
18. How do you unwind?
The Blue Marlin in Ibiza.
19. If you could swap places with anyone for a day, who would it be?
Steve Wynn. He owns my favourite place in the world, the Wynn in Las Vegas.
20. What's next?
Dinner with husband. And a cuddle with my boys.