Interviews

20 Questions With…Jason Flemyng

Actor Jason Flemyng, currently starring in Antarctica at the West End’s Savoy Theatre, discusses being stuck in a cave for six weeks with co-star Eddie Marsan and his ambitions to portray Elvis Presley on stage.

Jason Flemyng began his stage career playing the Tin Man in a school production of The Wizard of Oz. After studying at LAMDA, he joined the Royal Shakespeare Company for three years. His projects with the RSC at the Barbican included Coriolanus, Moscow Gold and All’s Well That Ends Well.

His first important screen role was A Question of Attribution, adapted from Alan Bennett‘s play about the 1950s spy scandal involving Guy Burgess. Further movie works included Indian Summer, Bernardo Bertolucci’s Stealing Beauty and Hollow Reed, in which he played an abusive white-collar worker. He has also appeared on television in such series as Lovejoy, Tess of the D’Urbervilles and Dr Finlay.

However, Flemyng’s most successful work to date came with Guy Ritchie’s Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Flemyng starred as part of a group attempting a major heist in London’s East End, with the film proving to be something of a surprise hit in the UK and USA. Forthcoming productions will see him team up with Johnny Depp in From Hell and Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Aniston in Rock Star.

Antarctica is based on the 1912 Antarctic expedition. A scientific team, who became stranded in a cave with only limited food supplies, accompanied Captain Scott’s excursion. The play is written by David S Young, and is receiving its British premiere at the Savoy Theatre.

Date & place of birth
Born on 25 September 1966 in London.

Now lives in
South London

Trained at
LAMDA (London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art)

First big break
Playing Colin in A Question of Attribution, directed by John Schlesinger. It won three BAFTAs.

Career highlights to date
Rehearsing the film Alive and Kicking, directed by Nancy Meckler, and attending the premiere of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

Favourite stage production you’ve worked on
This one (Antarctica), because it’s terrifying and daunting – and when I’m scared I’m happy.

Favourite co-star
Eddie Marsan (who also appears in Antarctica) because he makes me laugh. He’s 50% East End and 50% Moulin Rouge.

Favourite director
Guy Ritchie, because I like the boss to be the boss.

What role would you most like to play?
Something along the lines of Elvis – The Early Years. But soon I’m afraid I’ll only be right for The Vegas Years.

What’s the best thing currently on stage (not including your own production)?
“O” which I saw performed by Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas. It was unbelievably breathtaking.

What advice would you give to the government to secure the future of British theatre?
Don’t declare war on Afghanistan and keep the Americans coming to the UK.

If you could swap places with one person (living or dead) who would it be & why?
Homer Simpson, for being a big yellow god.

Favourite book
The Harry Potter series

Favourite after-show haunt
The Union Club

Favourite joke
Any actor talking about career moves!

What do you like/dislike about the Internet?
I love the fact that some geek in Shitville, Arizona’s web page affects the success of studio films. I hate it that my niece can access areas of information which I can barely comprehend.

Why in particular did you want to accept your part in Antarctica?
It was offered to me and I was desperate to do a play.

How did the actors set about creating a sense of arctic isolation in Antarctica?
Just through feeling the cold and looking beyond the horizon.

What’s your favourite line from Antarctica?
“Effective immediately, sir!”

What was the funniest, or oddest, moment during rehearsals for Antarctica?
Eddie Marsan getting all lovey about being stuck in a cave for six weeks of rehearsals.

Jason Flemyng was speaking to Terri Paddock

Antarctica previews at the West End’s Savoy Theatre from 25 September 2001, before opening on 9 October for a limited season.

Whatsonstage.com has ten pairs of tickets to give away to the opening week of Antarctica. To win a pair for yourself, click here.