Back in 1962, most men went to the Catskill Mountains of New York to escape the summer heat, but others took the two-hour drive to escape something else entirely: being men. Nestled in the land of dirty dancing and borscht belt comedy sat an inconspicuous bungalow colony that catered to a very special clientèle: heterosexual men whose favourite pastime was dressing and acting as women.
In this cross dressing colony, they leave their families, friends and city jobs behind to safely inhabit their female alter egos and release their inner woman. However, when given the choice to share their secret lives with the world, the group has to decide whether the freedom gained by the openness is worth the personal risk.
Based on actual events and infused with Harvey Fierstein's trademark wit, this delightfully insightful and hilariously entertaining piece offers a glimpse into the life of these "self-made women" as they search for acceptance and happiness in a high heel.
To celebrate the European Premiere of Fierstein's play, one lucky reader could win a pair of tickets, a programme and a bottle of champagne. Nine runners-up will win a pair of tickets and a programme.
This competition is now closed.
Terms and conditions
1. Winners will be selected at random from all correct entries.
2. Winner receives a pair of tickets to see Casa Valentina at Southwark Playhouse any time between 10 September and 10 October.
3. Tickets to be collected at the box office with no cash alternative.
4. Tickets are subject to availability and cannot be resold or transferred to another performance.
5. Competition is run by booments on behalf of Paul Taylor Mills and Amy Anzel.
Share via Email
No thanks, don't show this popup again.