Opened 11 Mar 1882. Damaged in 1905 during re-building by the collapse of the roof of Charing Cross. Re-opened 1907. 790 seats. Closed May 1996 when run by Ray Cooneybut re-opened early 1997 under new owner (Patrick Suleimn). Closed for refurbishment Jan to Jun 97. Society of London Theatre member. Jan 2003 - Bought by Ted Tulchin and his brother Norman. It is hoped that the new owners will be successful in re-instating the venue as a major host of high-profile productions. Mar 2003 Ted and Norman Tulchin have signed a management agreement with Ambassador Theatre Group.