West End, Greater London W1D 6BA
Sister theatre to the adjoining Gielgud (originally the Globe) when it opened on 8 Oct 1907. Bombed in 1940, re-opened in 1959. 979 seats. Member of the Society of London Theatre. In 1999 Delfont Mackintosh Theatres Limited acquired the freehold of the Queen s and the Gielgud Theatres from Christ s Hospital, Horsham. The lease of the Gielgud Theatre will revert back from Really Useful Theatres to Delfont Mackintosh Theatres in March 2006 after which there are plans to refurbish both venues and to build a 500-seat theatre, The Sondheim, above the Queen s. This will be the first new theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue since 1931.