SADLER'S WELLS THEATRE

Sadler's Wells Theatre
Rosebery Avenue
Inner London, Greater London EC1R 4TN
http://www.sadlerswells.com


About

Closed 23 June 96 to October 98 for a £48million refurbishment. On 3 Jun 1683 a Mr Sadler opened a pleasure garden at a country spring, this became known as Sadler's Wells. A wooden stage, later enclosed, there was known as Miles' Musik House. Theatre started in 1753. In 1765 a new theatre was opened. For a period it was the Aquatic Theatre with a floodable tank on stage, reverting to its current name in 1844. Closed in 1878 (had been a skating rink and a boxing ring). Re-opened 1879. Closed in 1906. Lilian Baylis opened a theatre there in 1931. Lilian Baylis was the niece of Emma Cons, the first woman member of the LCC and the freeholder of the Royal Victoria Hall and Coffee Tavern (now the Old Vic). Became a solely ballet and opera venue in 1934. Sadler's Wells was the original home of the Royal Ballet (then the Sadler's Wells Ballet) and the opera company from here moved on to the Coliseum. 1500 seats. Now has its own well back in use for the cooling system and bottled water. Very major refurbishment completed in 1998. Society of London Theatre member.

UPCOMING PRODUCTIONS

PAST PRODUCTIONS