Inner London, Greater London WC2A 2HT
Renamed the Peacock Theatre Autumn 1996 in honour of benfactor Michael Peacock, formerly the Royalty Theatre. To be a temporary home (1996 to autumn 1998) to Sadler's Wells during their refurbishment. Leasholders: The London School of Economics. This site was originally home to the London Opera House, built in 1911 and seating over 2600. The theatre was renamed in 1916 as the Stoll Theatre (after purchase by Oswald Stoll) which was demolished in 1957. As part of the redevelopment of the area as an office block the Royalty was built, it opened in 1960. Renovation during 1996/7. Now 1037 seats. Wheelchair access possible (not bars or toilets at present). Society of London Theatre member.