Five Reasons To See...Pretty Witty NellDate: 28 May 2009
Caroline Harding is a well known face to theatregoers in the North West, having starred in such hits as The Real Thing (Library Theatre) and Frankie and Johnnie in The Clair De Lune (Bolton Octagon). She also runs Two Friends productions with actress Canadia Gubbins. One of the fruits of their labour is the one woman show Pretty Witty Nell which comes the Lowry in June.
Caroline gives us five good reasons why we should pop along to see this bawdy tale about Nell Gwyn.
1. It's raunchy - Nell Gwyn was famously the mistress to Charles II, although she'd had a couple of Charlies before him!
2. It's amusing - Samuel Pepys named her Pretty Witty Nell. Her natural wit and complete lack of self-consciousness caught the eye of the actor Charles Hart and others, and Dryden wrote plays to exploit her talents as a comic actress.
3. It's bawdy - Nell was renowned for her on-stage theatrical shenanigans! She also had several rival mistresses - she made it her duty to bait them all!
4. It's moving - Nell genuinely loved the king, was faithful to him for 17 years. His last dying words were of her.
5. You'll be in the bar for 9.15pm - It's a short, sweet rollercoaster of a show. 45 minute first half - 25 minute second half.
Pretty Witty Nell runs at the The Lowry, Salford on Monday 8th and Tuesday 9th June 2009.
Back to Northwest Homepage