Caroline gives us five good reasons why we should pop along to see this bawdy tale about Nell Gwyn.
1. It's raunchy - Nell Gwyn was famously the mistress to Charles II, although she'd had a couple of Charlies before him!
2. It's amusing - Samuel Pepys named her Pretty Witty Nell. Her natural wit and complete lack of self-consciousness caught the eye of the actor Charles Hart and others, and Dryden wrote plays to exploit her talents as a comic actress.
3. It's bawdy - Nell was renowned for her on-stage theatrical shenanigans! She also had several rival mistresses - she made it her duty to bait them all!
4. It's moving - Nell genuinely loved the king, was faithful to him for 17 years. His last dying words were of her.
5. You'll be in the bar for 9.15pm - It's a short, sweet rollercoaster of a show. 45 minute first half - 25 minute second half.
Pretty Witty Nell runs at the The Lowry, Salford on Monday 8th and Tuesday 9th June 2009.
No thanks, don't show this popup again.